UKIRT In Its Building
A solid model of UKIRT in the observatory building (with the dome removed) showing:
- Top-end ring (purple)
- Top-end vanes (dark grey)
- Hub and secondary mirror assembly (light blue)
- Upper trusses, centre-section East and West DEC beams, north and south tie beams, lower trusses, primary mirror and cell (bright blue).
- Yoke and north and south supporting columns (red-brown).
- Not shown: S. Col working platform (supporting dome-air circulation fans)
Apertures (dark) in the concrete dome floor (white) lead extracted air to the coude room below (now used for storage and as a plenum for the air), thence to the plant room and out of the exit tunnel. The control room (R) and the instrument preparation room (L) flank the removable vestibule which normally controls dust entry to the dome theough the front access roller-door (right foreground). The telescope is shown with the future wide-field imager “WFCAM” in place on the primary mirror’s central plug. All other instruments are located at broken Cassegrain foci (not shown). (Back to ” Mounting, sky access & pointing” or to “Structure and optics in Cassegrain mode”.